Saturday, April 22, 2017

Personal Development Plan


Companies are moving towards integrating employee development plans, a plan that comprises of "formal education, job experiences, relationships, and assessments of personalities and skills", and meant to assist employees in improving their skill which in turn benefits the company. (Neo, 2013, p. 367) Taking a look at myself, I want to identify four areas/type of development and provide an explanation/rationale for each.

1. Self-Assessment of my strengths and weaknesses.
Everyone needs to push the pause button, what better time than at the begin of the company calendar year.  Taking a self-assessment that focuses on personal key skills, as well as interpersonal skills. A second assessment will focus on interpersonal skills. (https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ls/index.php/343479).   Both of these will provide a window into areas that I need to personally work on to better my interaction with co-workers and the position I fill.

2. Personality -- Myers-Briggs Type Inventory.
You are probably going, why; well, because we change as we mature. The last time I took it was in the late 1980's, and I'm curious where I stand now.  This once again will help me understand how I operate, how I approach work based on my personality style, such as, how I manage my time, problem solving, best approaches for decision making, and not to forget, dealing with stress (MBTI Type at Work).  Being honest with myself when I take the assessment will benefit me, and my co-workers in the future.

Using self-assessment and personality inventory can be part of the self-awareness that Dr. Stolovitch mentioned in his video (2011) 

3. Obtaining Certified Technical Trainer Plus (CTT+).
It is something my company desires for their training staff to obtain, and I need to put full effort into it. The CTT+ certification covers training standards for virtual and traditional classroom. (https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/ctt)

4. Develop my own brand
The last one is for me, but something that could benefit by current position, but can influence positions that are no-longer associated with 3-letter agencies. Develop my own brand that will cause me to learn software that I currently do not have access at work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender, and all of the options in Captivate 8 & 9), as well as, allow me to keep my creativity alive.
__________________
Reference
Development is a Marathon, Not a Sprint (2014). Personal Excellence Essentials, 19(4), 26.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Employee development [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
MBTI Type at Work. Retrieved from http://www.myersbriggs.org/type-use-for-everyday-life/mbti-type-at-work/.
Noe, R. A. (2013). Employee training and development (6th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment