Friday, November 30, 2012

Connections


Taking the time to identify my network connections allowed me to recognize that instructional design is not done alone; instead, a network of people make it happen. In today’s technology laden world, the ability to go with the flow and change one’s focus is essential. I embraced the technology shift, especially after experiencing frustration with distance learning that lacked the online aspect. My analytical training also helped feed the switch.
The Apple iPad is the biggest boost for my technology assault on graduate level schooling and light enough to carry anywhere. I thrive on the ability to read blogs, investigate websites, read PDF files on the Metro, doctor’s waiting room, without sitting at my computer. I did not grow up with a smart phone in my hand or a laptop, but I have morphed into the technology age, thus enabling me to move forward as an adult learner.
My most often go to place on the web for information is Google.com. Searching for information using key words allows me to encounter information I may not see if I walked into the local library or bookstore, find sites focusing on specific topics or others that cover multiple. Wikipedia is another place I like to go to as it provides a starter to point me to other sites, PDF files, or books.
I am still learning the art of asking quality questions on sites like ASTD or LinkedIn. You see questions/comments by others, and yes, you learn from those, however, asking your own questions forces you to identify gaps in your knowledge library.
Siemens (2004) describes connectivism as the “integration of principles explored by chaos, network, and complexity and self-organization theories...a process that happens within nebulous environments of shifting core elements – not entirely under the control of the individual.” Siemens also indicated “decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations” (2004). Considering Siemens description of connectivism, my learning style melts into the technology world of online courses. The demands/dedication of online learning, accessing the various technology avenues related to adult learning, requires mature adults able to stay the course.


Reference:
Siemens, G. (2004, December 12). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

3 comments:

  1. Marnie, this looks great! Your site is so aesthetically pleasing. And, good information/resources. I have the ASTD site bookmarked. Thanks. I like wiki's, but how do you know if the information is sound? I usually use them for definitions and basic knowledge to point me to solid references. Good to see your work. Have a great weekend. -Sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Wiki as a starting point, never as a reference... Wiki is populated by anyone, thus, further research is required.

      Delete
  2. Marnie,

    What a great post to your blog. Your title was a great addition! You are so right in your statement that instructional design is not done alone. Where would we be without our technology? I too carry around my iPad whenever possible. My iPad has been extremely helpful in staying connected anywhere, anytime. With all of todays' technology, it is a wonder that we do not experience information sensory overload. Moreover, due to the fact that we continue to be inundated with information, and "what we consider to be right today may tomorrow be considered wrong" Davis, Edmunds and Kelly-Bateman (2008), should we, therefore, take caution in how we learn moving forward (p. 5)?

    Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism

    ReplyDelete